Cranky Fat Feminist Speaks

liberal feminist from the south who ran away to college in the mid-west, and quickly retreated back after my four years were up. trying to save the world one picture book at a time; attempting to live healthier to lose weight, but without giving up beer. challenging the idea that “big is beautiful” as well as what I’ve learned and experienced about women, gender, and feminism from my time in college as well as my time in West Africa. pissed about the apathy of the world, ready to create change one mind at a time.

I'd love any comments you'd like to share! And as always, I'd love for you to click on an ad when you're done reading, it's a simple free way for you to give money towards my student loans!


Saturday, September 5, 2015

[fat] confessions on my own scars, stretch marks, and hairiness

giangie.tumblr.com


My first surgery scars came in high school from putting my shoulder back together after a weird overuse accident. (labral tear-- the tissue that holds the ball and socket in place was torn from the bone) After being misdiagnosed for eight months the three one-inch-long scars felt like battle scars. A year later I had a breast reduction, three pounds and some drainage tubes later I’ve got almost two feet of faint pink scars. I have yet to meet a man who noticed my scars until about a month of pillow talk later… it’s been quite the confidence booster. My other surgery scars are from having my appendix plucked out a few years after that. The scars are consistent with an ovary removal, but luckily it was my appendix that was infected and dying instead. The surgical scars could almost count as battle scars -- except my belly and boobs have faced no trauma.


All along my arms and legs are bug bites. Ants and mosquitoes for the most part, but the occasional family of chiggers or no-see-ums will try to take up residence under a flip flop strap. Many bites have scabbed over, and some have finally left smooth purple discolorations. I haven’t shaved my legs in over four years -- thighs in over six. Luckily the hair is rather blonde and thin, so I don’t need to worry about shaving over bug bites and opening up scabs. I’ve also got my fair share of old scraped knees and shins from work as well as my years of tree climbing and mud pie pancake making in the back yard. Additionally, no guy has noticed my leg hair until I've actually pointed it out to him. Women on occasion have noticed the leg hair.


alildashofdiva.com


What men have noticed are my stretch marks… on my arms, the underside of my upper arms, up to my armpits. I’ve even encountered a few over my shoulders. Moving down, I have those crazy pregnancy stretch marks all over my belly, my hips, and creeping around to my low back and sides of my waist. Of course my outer thighs haven’t been excluded, and my inner thighs have just begun to catch on to the stretch mark idea. (They’re also big on the rub-together heat rash during sun dress season) Stretch marks on my boobs are a given, but they are fainter in the years since the reduction.


I love wearing tank tops, but they often show off both boob stretch marks and the awkward underarm and shoulder stretch marks. This means tank tops are only ever for confident days. (regardless of whether or not I’ve shaved my pits in the last week or not) My legs are very skinny (in relation to the rest of me) and are glow in the dark white, and my belly looks like it has a stress-beer-pizza baby growing in it. On my not-confident days I feel the need to find a bigger shirt to cover my belly and upper arms and a way to cover my legs down to my toes. (And obviously keep that belly covered, no peek-a-boo allowed!) Often I have to skip one (I mean, 95 degrees plus humidity for a huge chunk of the year…) and then if I’m not careful I’ll have a near-meltdown in a bathroom over my white legs showing, my shoulder stretch marks showing, my clothes being too tight across my belly… myself conforming to the shame that society places on fat people, and the overwhelming desire to hide my "unacceptable" body from other people's potentially judging eyes.


galadarling.com/article/you-are-beautiful/
Additionally, my pasty porcelain white skin is quite prone to bright red splotches. All over my face, ears, chest, neck, shoulders, and upper arms. When I drink I turn red, when I’m hot I turn red, when I’m embarrassed or uncomfortable or feel stupid I turn red… (when is scarf season going to be here?!) Its rather common that -- even with taking my anxiety meds -- I’ll be in that bathroom talking myself down from a panic attack while applying wet cold paper towels to my face and neck and chest. If I wear makeup (which is absurdly hard to find in “white as a sheet of fucking paper”) I will turn splotchy under the makeup and be even more embarrassed. The worst is around my mom and grandma -- they up my blood pressure, give me shit if I go without make up, and worry constantly and loudly at my red face.


I am fully aware that I’m embarrassed by my body (size, stretch marks) but that I’ve personally conquered the hair and scars that adorn me. I try my best to think and talk positively about my body, and to think and talk positively about all bodies. But this is always a work in progress. It will always be a work in progress. You have to love your body before you can change anything. You have to love your body before you can lose weight in a non crash-diet; you have to love your body before you can love the clothes you put on yourself; you have to love your body before you can truly love your partner’s body. You have to love your body before you can better your body. You must accept your flaws and your fat, your high cholesterol and your overbearing depression, your aching joints and your crippling anxiety. You must accept you.




To the CFF community -- what about your wonderfully imperfect body have you been able to accept and overcome? What has been the most challenging aspect you’ve worked on? What have you worked on and not conquered?

Need more body-love inspiration images? http://bust.com/fck-your-beauty-standards-16-body-positive-illustrations-to-boost-your-self-love.html#.U0Q37K1dU6F





.etsy.com/listing/161717264/inspirational-art-print-my-temple?utm_source=OpenGraph&utm_medium
(yep, you can buy your own print at the link!)

No comments:

Post a Comment